Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving - My First GF vs Second GF

Thank you Marlow from Gluten Hates Me for the idea of reflecting on how different your first GF Thanksgiving was compared to this years. For me this meant comparing year 1 to year 2.

Year 1: Brought my own mashed potatoes and gf cupcake. ate the general populations turkey, ham and cranberry sauce. I did insist on serving myself first but I didn't know about pans needing to dedicated, etc. There was no option for seconds or leftovers for dinner.  I was three weeks in to being gluten free.

Year 2: Brought all my own food - honeybaked ham slices, mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese biscuits, cranberry sauce and creme brulee. I travel 1000 miles for Thanksgiving so I have a family member purchase the ham, simply potatoes and cranberry sauce. They also make the creme brulee (dedicated pans). I make the biscuits and bring them along, everything stayed in my lunch box and was completely separate from the general food.

This year was way more relaxed and I was able to enjoy the family visiting more without worrying about what might make me sick. It is amazing what a difference a years experience will make. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment