Sunday, January 8, 2012

December Recipe Recap

Oven Roasted Potatoes - New & Improved!
1 1/2 lbs. red potatoes
seasoning salt
sea salt
cayenne pepper
black pepper
olive oil

Cut red potatoes into half or 1 inch pieces if you have bigger potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings - I did mostly seasoning salt (1 - 1 1/2 tsp?), with dashes of the rest (1/4 - 1/2 tsp?). Toss to coat and spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I suggest covering with aluminum foil or parchment for easy clean up. Roast in a 375 - 400 F degree oven for 35 - 45 mins, stirring every 15 mins.

WHY these are New & Improved: The first time I made these I seasoned these with seasoning salt and garlic, and cooked them for 60 mins and 400F degrees. They were a little too crispy and the seasoning was ok, but not fabulous. With the above seasoning and heat they were soft on the inside, crispy on the outside, and the seasoning was just right. Many thanks to my family who tried the second batch :-)

Roasted Asparagus with Melted Brie
1 bunch fresh asparagus
olive oil
sea salt
melting brie

Rinse the asparagus, and trim off the woody ends. Pat dry. Place in a parchment or aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and drizzle lightly with oil & sprinkle with sea salt (we are just lightly seasoning). Roll the asparagus around so they are all coated in olive oil. Place in oven at 375 for 10 mins. Remove from oven, roll the asparagus around, and top with slices of melting brie. Return to oven for 5 mins or brie is melted.

I got the Asparagus recipe from a Gluten Free Snacks class I took at Whole Foods last summer, and it was very tasty to recreate it myself (and make my family be the taste testers). What was really fun with both the asparagus and the potatoes is I made them with my sister, and she got to learn how to make these as well.

Fabulous Fajitas
chicken breasts
Goya Mojo Marinade
yellow onions
mushrooms

Slice chicken breast into strips and put in covered dish with enough Mojo marinade to cover the chicken. Marinate for 1 hour (you can go longer, but I have found that 1 hour is the right amount). While your chicken is marinating, cut the onion into wedges & separate, slice mushrooms if you didn't buy pre-sliced. Saute chicken in large skillet, toss in some onions and mushrooms when you put the chicken in. Cook the chicken on the first side until it starts looking like it is getting cooked through (around 5 minutes) then flip/stir the skillet so the other side cooks. Saute until the chicken is done and the onion is translucent. Repeat process until all the chicken is done, I usually add some water (2-3 tbs) to the pan after the first batch so the chicken doesn't burn while it is cooking. Serve on tortillas with garnishments of your choice - Spanish rice, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, etc.

This marinade is AMAZING. I have tried it on chicken breast and on thighs, I quit buying thighs to use it on because it makes the breast so tender. 1 bottle will generally do 3 lbs of chicken if you put it in the right container or using it all at once. If you are using it at different times it won't go as far. I usually do an onion per pound of chicken and 1 pkg of pre sliced mushroom per pound. Also, La Preferida Spanish Rice is gluten free, and all you have to do is heat it up to go with it :-)
blankImage Mojo Criollo

Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
bananas
semi-sweet chocolate chips
coconut flakes

Let me start by saying I found the inspiration for this on Pinterest, and it called for peanut butter mixed in with the chocolate. When I made these I wasn't in the mood for peanut butter so I left it out, however this made the chocolate harder to work with. Click here for the original recipe. Moving on... Slice the bananas into 5-6 pieces. Melt the chocolate, dip the banana chunks in the chocolate to coat. Place on parchment covered plate/cookie sheet depending on how many you are making. Drizzle any extra chocolate over the chunks, because you don't waste chocolate. Sprinkles with coconut flakes (because it is pretty, I couldn't really taste it in the end). Freeze for 1 hour and eat, the longer you freeze the more ice cream like your bananas get.

My husband's family got to be the taste testers for the Banana Bites, and they went fast, even though my chocolate didn't go on as pretty as the Pinterest post. My biggest suggestion is to only pull out what you are going to eat and leave the rest in the freezer - they aren't very pretty if they thaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment