Saturday, February 25, 2012

Classic 2nd Place Chili :-)

My husband's work had a chili cook off yesterday, and my classic chili came in second - I'm pretty excited, there were 8 entries total so I think this is pretty good. The winner used 7 different kinds of meat, beer, vodka, and who knows what else... I was told it was as thick as paste but had good flavor. The winner also happens to be a good friend of my husband's, we actually had dinner with him & his girlfriend last night. We beat them in old school Nintendo Jeopardy to make up for the chili loss :-)

So no picture, but here is the 2nd Place Chili Recipe:

1 onion, diced
2 tbs. high heat oil (I used almond)
2 1/2 lbs sirloin steak
1 can Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
1 can Hunt's Italian Diced Tomatoes
1 can Hunt's Chili Tomatoes
1 can (smaller) Busch's country style Baked Beans
1 can Van Camps Pork & Beans
1 can Hormel Medium Spice Chili Beans
16 oz Regular V8
2 tbs. granulated garlic
2 tbs. chili powder
4 tbs. cumin
2 tbs. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cut the steak into small cubes. Dice the onion and saute in the oil until it is soft - I do this in the stock pot I'm going to do everything in so this is a one pot clean up. Add steak, Worcestershire, salt & pepper. Cook on Medium High heat until steak is done. Drain off the fat. Start adding in your tomatoes, beans, & V8. Stir in your remaining spices, bring everything to a boil. If I am making this ahead, I turn it off then and let it cool, transfer it to a crockpot and stick it in the fridge. If we are eating right then, I let it simmer for 30 minutes or more so that the flavors combine better.

Enjoy!

**I mention the brand names above because I know those a gluten free

No comments:

Post a Comment